The Original Hotel Victor had balconies and an unusual pyramidal rooftop tower. It was one of the most widely photographed buildings in Victor. Hundreds of people perched on the balconies to watch Independence Day Parades.
Less than seven weeks after the July 4th celebration of 1899, a devastating fire swept through the city and destroyed the Original Hotel Victor. The site remained vacant for many years. During that time, circus tents were set up on the property for holiday celebration and throngs of people gathered there for labor union rallies.
The First National Bank of Victor, also owned by the Woods family, was located directly across 4th Street; it to was destroyed by the fire in August of 1899. By Christmas Eve of that year, a new four-story bank was rebuilt. Unfortunately the new bank was forced to close its doors permanently on November 4, 1903, as the financial empire of the Woods family crumbled and it was declared insolvent.
Several successor banks, including A.E. Carlton's City Bank, occupied the bank building and it eventually became the "New" Victor Hotel. After remaining vacant for many years, the restored hotel building reopened for business in 1992. The bank vault and original bird cage elevator, still operational, can be seen by stepping into the hotel lobby.
North 4th St. was the scene of several celebrations, including the 4th of July extravaganza pictured below.
In 1907-08 the Mint Bar, (shown on the left side of the above photo) now JET Service, was built on the site of the Original Hotel Victor. An advertisement in the Victor Daily Record on opening day, January 23, 1908, described the Mint Bar as a "gentlemen's resort, with the best of everything in liquid refreshments, fine cigars and courteous treatment." The saloon's bar was made of solid mahogany with an imported plate glass mirror, the equal of any in the state. The pool and billiards room was equipped with an attractive cigar stand, six pool tables and two billiards tables. Seating was plentiful. T.D. Foster owned the building and Teddy Booth managed the bar. The current day JET Service moved into the Mint Bar building in the 1960's. The current day Victor Hotel is on the right side of the photo.
Photos courtesy Victory Lowell Thomas Museum, Colorado Historical Society.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 at 5:16am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 487727 N 4284618|
|Decimal Degrees||38.71011667, -105.14115000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 42.607', W 105° 8.469'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 42' 36.42" N, 105° 8' 28.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 318 Victor Ave, Victor CO 80860, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.