County formed 1814 by General Assembly of Indiana Territory. Commissioners selected county seat and named it Salem. This third courthouse completed 1888 using locally quarried limestone. Designed in Richardsonian Romanesque Style by Harry P. McDonald, Louisville. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1980.
Salem Downtown Historic District
Town platted 1814; historic district area includes original plat. Continues as geographical, governmental, business, and social center of county. Nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings-in Italianate, Gothic, and Classical styles-surround public square. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1997.
|Series||This marker is part of the Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers series|
|Placed By||Indiana Historical Bureau and Washington County Community Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 2:52am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 578292 N 4273438|
|Decimal Degrees||38.60600000, -86.10081667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 36.36', W 86° 6.049'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 36' 21.60" N, 86° 6' 2.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1 Westside Rd, Salem IN 47167, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.