The Liberty Landing, also known as Baxter's Landing, located at the base of the bluffs one half mile west of Missouri 291 Highway, played a significant role in the history and development of Liberty, Missouri as well as Clay County. In use from 1829 until the 1890's, the landing was much more than a tie up location for keelboats and riverboats. A settlement flourished that included a hemp factory with rope walk, tobacco warehouse, livery stables, vineyard with winery, hotel, post office and at least seven houses. An 1877 map shows a town with thirty-five lots laid out. As trains replaced steamboats as the favored mode of transportation, the landing was abandoned. In 1906 the United States Government blew the rings used to tie up steamboats out of the rocks. Little is left of the landing due to development of the area.
Photograph courtesy of the Clay County Archives Museum and Library, Inc. Research by Christopher Harris. This historic exhibit was donated by the Liberty Sertoma Club.