The Rusch Home, built in 1916, is on the original site of the 480-acre Volle Ranch.
Fred and Julia Volle came across the plains by covered wagon in 1853. Before settling in Citrus Heights, they owned a small place on L Street in Sacramento which became part of the State Capitol grounds. Of their eleven children, ten were raised or lived out their lives at this site. Their daughter Louisa died shortly after giving birth to Fred Rusch in 1881. Both Fred and his older sister Julia were then raised by their maternal grandparents and namesakes, Fred and Julia Volle.
In 1888 when Fred was seven years old, his grandfather died. By the time he was fifteen years old, Fred was managing the 480-acre ranch, noted for its large wheat acreage and fine draft horses. Julia managed the home. The present Rusch home was completed after the former Volle home burned in 1914.
Fred and Julia Rusch inherited the ranch when their grandmother died in 1916. In 1950 they made the original bequest of 15 acres of what is now Rusch Park, thus leading to the creation of the Sunrise Recreation and Park District. The District is indebted to them for their generosity in sharing with the community some of the land and the home they dearly loved. Former long-term district administrator, Eugene H. Ahner, recalls fondly Fred and Julia's love of baseball and their desire to provide opportunities for the youth of the community.