·Geologic Cross-section. A Geologic Cross-section shows a cut-away of the rocks underlying Lookout Mountain, the City of Golden, and the Table Mountains. The rocks you are standing on are on the left side of the diagram. They are igneous and metamorphic rocks over 1.7 billion years old. As these ancient rocks were uplifted, the originally flat sedimentary rocks were faulted and tilted. Some of these sedimentary rocks were tilted to near vertical. These sedimentary rocks were easily eroded forming the valley before you, with the more resistant igneous and metamorphic rocks forming the mountains.
·Do You Remember?
· Igneous rock-a rock formed by the crystallization from a melt. Includes granite in the mountains to the west and the Table Mountain lava flows. These rocks are resistant to weathering and erosion.
· Metamorphic rock-rock that did not melt and formed by alterations of preexisting rocks at depths by heat and pressure. Includes the rock around the museum and grave site. These rocks are also resistant to weathering and erosion.
· Sedimentary rock-rock formed on the earth's surface by weathering, erosion, and deposition. Includes the rocks beneath Golden and along the mountain front. These rocks are generally softer and more easily eroded, except for well-cemented sandstone and conglomerates such as the Dakota Hogbacks.
· Fault-break in rock along which movement has occurred. There has been about 10,000 feet of movement along the Golden Fault.
· Laramide-mountain building episode that began 68 million years ago and continued for about 25 million years, uplifting the Colorado Rocky Mountains.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 8th, 2014 at 1:14pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 479527 N 4398234|
|Decimal Degrees||39.73375000, -105.23891667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 44.025', W 105° 14.335'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 44' 1.50" N, 105° 14' 20.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||303, 720|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 114-198 Buffalo Bill Trail, Golden CO 80401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.