Bivouac for Confederate troops on Oct. 7, 1862, night before Battle of Perryville. Karricks ordered to vacate home the next day. Day after the battle they returned to survey damage, found little done. Officers, doctors lived in house for about 6 months. It was built early 1850s, bought in 1856 by James V. Karrick, who came from Shelby Co., Ky. See over.
First settled, 1781 or 1782, by group from Pennsylvania led by James Harberson, who owned 1400 acres. To protect against Indians they built fort to include spring and cave still found on this site. Plot for town laid out, 1815, by Edward Bullock and William Hall. Named Perryville for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. Established by legislature, 1817. See over.