In 1783, Isaac Hite, Jr. married Nelly Madison Hite of Montpelier, and acquired by grant from his father the 483 acre tract that was to become the center of Belle Grove Plantation. Until the elegant manor house was built between 1794 and 1797, the young couple lived in "Old Hall," an earlier home on the property.
Only the foundation of Old Hall remains today, but it was the seat of Isaac Hite, Jr.'s plantation estate in the early years. Through archaeological excavations and historic photographs, Old Hall has been identified as a substantial limestone structure, two stories high, set on a foundation measuring about 25x40 feet, together with the later addition of extra space and a second chimney. The building had a pitched roof and a sizable cellar. Old Hall is thought to have been used as a residence for the older male Hite children and their tutors in the early 1800's. Excavation of the cellar and surrounding foundation has yielded early 19th century domestic artifacts such as spoons and ceramic sherds, and ample evidence of a Civil War campsite, including canteens, belt buckles and bullets.
This exhibit was made possible through the generous support of the Hite Family Association