The building was constructed of timber cut by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC, a federal relief program of the 1930's provided work and vocational training for unemployed single young men. The CCC built roads, bridges and buildings and completed forestry projects on public lands. The Franklin Relic Hall is a landmark in the community and a tribute to Franklin's earliest settlers.
Franklin resident Elliott Butterworth was the force behind the preservation of relics in the community. Butterworth emigrated from England at age 16 and lived in Franklin from 1869 to 1912 where he operated a general store. During that time, he collected and assembled more than a thousand items of memorabilia related to Franklin's pioneer past, which he donated to the town of Franklin. His passion for history led to his founding the Franklin Pioneer Association in 1910.
The Idaho Pioneer Association at the first Idaho Day celebration in 1910. In 1923, this group purchased the FCMI store to display the artifacts collected by Elliott Butterworth. When the collection outgrew the building, the group led an effort for construction of a new relic hall.
|Placed By||Idaho State Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 3rd, 2014 at 12:10am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12T E 433694 N 4651997|
|Decimal Degrees||42.01721667, -111.80083333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 1.033', W 111° 48.05'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 1' 1.98" N, 111° 48' 3.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 113-121 E Main St, Franklin ID 83237, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.