This area, called Whippy Swamp Cross Roads, was in Beaufort District before Hampton County was created in 1878. In 1840 the Whippy Swamp Guards of the 12th S.C. Militia built their "militia house" nearby. It hosted inspections, drills, picnics, and political speeches. Two Confederate companies formed in 1861-62 were made up of men of the antebellum Guards: Co. D, 11th S.C. Infantry, and Co. D, 24th S.C. Infantry.
Other members of the antebellum Whippy Swamp Guards served in several Confederate units from this area. On October 22, 1862, at the Battle of Pocotaligo, the silk flag of the Whippy Swamp Guards was captured by the 48th N.Y. Infantry. Maj. John J. Harrison of the 11th S.C., former captain of the Guards, was killed. The militia house was torn down shortly after the Civil War.