Kingville, a rural community, was established in 1840 as a station on the Louisville, Cincinnati, and Charleston Railroad, on the line from Charleston to Columbia. In 1848 the S.C. Railroad extended its line north east from here to Camden, making Kingville a significant railroad town. By 1860 it boasted a hotel, post office, shops, offices, and several residences.
Kingville is thought to be named for its status as "king" of the railroad line between Charleston and Columbia and between Columbia and Camden. In February 1865 Gen. William T. Sherman's Federals burned the depot, hotel, and sheds and destroyed 3,000 ft. of track. The railroad line was rebuilt in the 1880s and a sawmill was built about 1900, but the area declined by the mid-20th century.