On Oct. 1, 1885, "The Dallas Morning News" began publication as the North Texas extension of A. H. Belo's "Galveston News." The two publications were linked by telegraph to exchange information, and they maintained a statewide network of correspondents.
Col. Belo's Dallas paper was a success from the start, and by 1900 it exceeded the "Galveston News" in circulation, size and advertising revenue. "The Dallas Morning News" soon acquired its morning rival, the "Dallas Herald," which had been founded as the "Cedar Snag" by James Wellington Latimore in 1849. G. B. Dealey, who had played a major role in the establishment of "The Dallas Morning News" and had served as its first business manager, became president of A. H. Belo & Co. in 1920. In 1926, he bought control of the corporation.
Under Dealey's management, "The News" continued its leadership among Texas newspapers. It long has expressed an active interest in local, state, and national affairs, taking a firm stand against the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s, and over the years successfully encouraging integrity in government, efficiency in city management, water conservation, and a strong educational system. "The Dallas Morning News" has been an important part of the heritage of the city and the state.