The Rev. C. Ward organized this church in the home of Mrs. Elisa Hawkins in 1875 as the Third Baptist congregation in Austin. A small frame structure at Catalpa and Curve Streets was the place of worship for ten years. A brick sanctuary in Gothic style was completed in 1886, and the congregation then added "Ebenezer", meaning "stone of help", to its name. During the 1892-1927 pastorate of the Rev. L.L. Campbell, a stucco tabernacle was built (1915). Led by the Rev. J.C. Lott, 1928-1949, the members began plans for expansion. The present church was erected in 1950-1955, under the Rev. Robert L. Rowe, whose ministry extended from 1949 to 1968. The limestone and brick structure is of Gothic Revival design. One of the towers houses the bell from the first brick church.
This church is recognized for its missionary work, its choirs, and its active support of many local and national projects, including scholarships, programs for the elderly, United Negro College Funds, NAACP, and volunteer councils of the Texas State Hospitals.
Pastor Marvin C. Griffin called in 1969 led his large congregation in a mortgage burning ceremony.