One of Austin's most revered African American civic and religious leaders, Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller is best remembered for her generosity, inspirational speeches, Baptist missionary activity, teaching abilities, and compassion for those less fortunate than herself.
The daughter of Hugh and Anna Berry, Maud was born and reared in Lockhart, where she attended public school. After completing her studies at Guadalupe College in Seguin and Tillotson College in Austin, she embarked on a distinguished teaching career that spanned 25 years. She married W.H. Fuller in 1914.
Influenced by a deep devotion to her Baptist beliefs Maud Fuller led efforts to organize several local and national youth organizations and led many international missionary efforts while an active member of the Ebenezer Baptist Church of Austin and the Women's Auxiliary as corresponding secretary prior to election as president in 1928. She became Dr. Fuller in 1954 after receiving an honorary humanities degree from Union Baptist Theological Seminary of Houston. She and her husband owned and operated a funeral home in East Austin beginning in 1932. She was buried in Austin's Evergreen Cemetery.