Events on Detroit's Campus Martius spurred the patriotic citizenry to raise a special regiment from this area and so the 24th Michigan Infantry mustered into U.S. service on August 15, 1862, numbering 1,030 men. The "24th" was also known as, "The Detroit and Wayne County Regiment," as enlistments totalled 428 from the city and 479 from the townships. Commanded by Colonel Henry A. Morrow, these volunteer soldiers became part of the famous Iron Brigade and first distinguished themselves, under enemy fire, at the battle of Fredericksburg. Virginia. They fought at Chancellorsville and in three other engagements before Gettysburg—where they entered the battle with 496 men. After the first day's fight, only 99 men remained with their flag. The sacrifice of the 24th Michigan and the Iron Brigade helped slow the Confederate advance upon Gettysburg and allowed Federal forces to gain a position for victory.
The 24th Michigan struggled through 14 more battles, including the siege of Petersburg, Virginia. New recruits brought the regiment back to full strength and on May 4, 1865 they served as funeral escort for President Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, Illinois. The regiment mustered out and disbanded at Detroit, Michigan on June 30, 1865.