Archaelogical evidence indicates that Quanassee was a substantial settlement as early as 1550, and most of Spikebuck mound was constructed before the first English explorers came to the area in the 1690s. In 1716, South Carolina officials Col. George Chicken and Major John Herbert met with Cherokee leaders at Quanassee to secure Cherokee alliance in the Yamassee War. In 1717, South Carolina established a public trading "factory" (store and warehouse) at Quanassee to supply the region with English manufactured goods in exchange for deerskins and other Cherokee commodities. The main route between the English settlement in South Carolina and the Cherokee towns in Tennessee passed through Quanassee, and the town became a bustling trade center.
In its heyday, Quanassee was home to several hundred people, but by 1721, it was among the smallest Cherokee towns, with only 104 people (37 men, 31 women, and 36 children). The threat of attack during the protracted Creek-Cherokee War (ca 1716-1752) drove many townspeople to seek more secure settlements. Their fears were well founded; in 1725m a Coosa (Creek) war party "cut off" Quanassee, destroying the town and killing or enslaving most of its inhabitants. The settlement was defunct for many years, but a new community established itself at Quanassee prior to the American Revolution. In 1776, Rutherford expedition forces "campt at Quannasy Town on hywasey" before razing the Cherokee Valley Towns. When Benjamin Hawkins passed through the area in 1797, he saw that "...on the left bank of this was the town of Quannasee, for many years the residene of Cornelius Daughterty, an old Irish trader; at present there is nothing remaining of the old town except open flats where were formerly the corn fields..." The area was known as Quanassee into the 1820's, when Baptist missionaries came to preach to families living at "Quansee."
|Placed By||Cherokee Preservation Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014 at 3:19pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 243827 N 3881932|
|Decimal Degrees||35.04763333, -83.80856667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 2.858', W 83° 48.514'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 2' 51.48" N, 83° 48' 30.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||704, 828|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 176 Spoon Hill Dr, Hayesville NC 28904, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.