1900-1964Orator F. Woodward, owner of the Genesee Pure Food Company bought the rights to Jell-O from P.B. Wait in 1899 for $450. Production of "America's most famous dessert" began in 1900 at the Genesee Pure Food Company factory located on this site. The original factory was replaced in the early 1900's by this mission style brick building. The Genesee Pure Food Company was reorganized as the Jell-O Company in 1923. In 1925 Jell-O was sold to Postum of Battle Creek, Michigan. This merger resulted in the creation of the General Foods Company. Production of Jell-O in LeRoy ended in 1964.
|Placed By||LeRoy Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 7:32am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 256710 N 4763437|
|Decimal Degrees||42.98470000, -77.98400000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 59.082', W 77° 59.04'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 59' 4.92" N, 77° 59' 2.40" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 57-61 North St, Le Roy NY 14482, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.