Once the intersection of two competing railroads, the South Florida Railroad (part of the Plant System, later Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, built in 1884-85) and the Florida Railway & Navigation Company (later the Florida Central & Peninsular Railway and eventually Seaboard Air Line Railway) crossed here in 1887. A school existed here, as did a post office from 1886 to 1899 and 1902 to 1906.
Lutz Brithers Shingle Mill was loctaced nearby, ca. 1895. With the discovery of clay deposits, a brickyard and kiln began operating about 1907, making bricks which sold at six dollars per thousand. Micker & McLoad quarried rock and crushed limestone in the 1920s.
Until the advent of modern rail technology, a two-story frame switching station was located at the intersection of the two railroads. An overpass was built over the switching station and rails in 1948-49 when the federal highway was re-aligned. Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and Seaboard Coast Line Railroad (now CSX Transportation) and removed the Atlantic Coast Line tracks in the late 1980s, resulting in the demolition of the overpass.
In 1989 the Senate of Florida acquired the former rail right-of-way and developed the Withlacoochee State Trail as a linear recreational greenway. Owensboro became its southern terminus.