Fortifying the Junction
— The Manassas Museum System —Following Virginia's decision to secede from the Union in in April 1861, Southern troops began arriving here at the small village of Tudor Hall, which soon came to be known as Manassas Junction. This place, where the Orange & Alexandria and Manassas Gap railroads intersected, was quickly transformed from a quiet farming community into a military stronghold. Some 20,000 new recruits poured in from across Virginia and other Southern states.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 4:52pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 286922 N 4292381|
|Decimal Degrees||38.75443333, -77.45210000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 45.266', W 77° 27.126'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 45' 15.96" N, 77° 27' 7.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||703, 571|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8401 Quarry Rd, Manassas VA 20110, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|