The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACLR) Depot was built in 1927 and was used as a station/depot for passenger service and for shipping citrus, produce and other goods, thereby stimulating economic development and residential settlement. Railroad stations served as major community, commercial and social centers, linking each of the small towns with the rest of the world. With its wide overhangs and high ceilings, the depot represents the southern architectural style of the first quarter of the 20th century. Built at a cost of $13,207.21, the building was constructed of red brick and hard pine. It featured segregated waiting rooms, an office, a ware (freight) room, a raised outside platform and concrete concourses. ACLR trains traversed through Florida serving Zephyrhills from Jacksonville and Ocala to southern cities including Tampa, Bradenton and Miami. Famous trains such as the "Orange Blossom Special" and "Gulf Coast Limited" were among those stopping at the Zephyrhills station. With assistance from state and federal grants, the City of Zephyrhills acquired the depot in 1988 and restored it to its original appearance. In October 1998, it opened to the public as a local railroad and historical museum.