Home of Fostoria GlassFostoria's glass era began when natural gas was discovered in the mid 1880s at "Godsend," five miles west of town. Aided by former governor Charles Foster, Fostoria attracted more than a dozen companies that manufactured utilitarian and decorative glassware from 1887 to 1920. These companies produced windows, bottles, tableware, lamps, shades, and electric incandescent lamps. The Fostoria Glass Company was the best-known manufacturer of glass in Fostoria. From 1887 to 1891, it made a wide variety of decorative glass including its famous "Victoria" pattern tableware. Even after the company relocated to Moundsville, West Virginia following the depletion of natural gas in the area, it retained the name "Fostoria," which is still synonymous with excellence in the glass-making art.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Fostoria Area Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 12:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 296897 N 4560639|
|Decimal Degrees||41.17166667, -83.42116667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 10.3', W 83° 25.27'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 10' 18.00" N, 83° 25' 16.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||419, 567|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1225 N County Line St, Fostoria OH 44830, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.