As a result of the consolidation of county schools, Plains High School closed in 1979. Through a partnership between the community of Plains and the National Park Service, the school was restored and reopened in 1996 as the main Visitors Center for the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site. In 1996 the Georgia Department of Education, Sumter County Schools, and the National Park Service initiated an educational program for students visiting
(Continued on other side)
Continued from other side)
the site. The Georgia State Board of Education approved a resolution on January 15, 1997, which noted the importance of this educational facility from 1921 - 1979 and recognized the significant impact of the collaborative educational venture.
The 1997 Georgia General Assembly passed a bill which named Plains High School the State School of Georgia. The legislation recognized educators Julia Coleman and Y.T. Sheffield for their outstanding leadership at the school. It also noted that President Carter and First Lady Rosalynn Smith Carter were graduates of Plains High School and that President Carter served on the Sumter County School board as his first political office.
Governor Zell Miller signed the bill into law on April 22, 1997. At this time, Plains High School was officially designated the State School of Georgia.
|Placed By||Plains Historical Preservation Trust|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 2:45am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 746175 N 3547373|
|Decimal Degrees||32.03578333, -84.39311667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 2.147', W 84° 23.587'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 2' 8.82" N, 84° 23' 35.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 500-524 School Dr, Plains GA 31780, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.