In order to begin development, it was necessary for Colonial Heights Corporation to extend Moultrie's water system from its then City limits, 13th Avenue. With assistance from the WPA, the line was built, and eventually given to the City by Colonial Heights Corporation.
Colonial Heights extends North and South from Pine Avenue to what is now Sunset Shopping Center, and East and West from the former Coastline RR to the former Georgia Northern RR. There is an area North of Tallokas Road, known as Colonial Heights Annex.
The first lots sold were along Main Street, and subsequent development was handled in phases. To encourage sales, the corporation decided to build houses, as demand warranted. After returning from service in the Navy, son Matt Friedlander took charge of the development. (1945)
In total there are more than 340 houses. All of these, except for a few, were built by Matt Friedlander's Construction unit. R. B. Wright School was built on 2nd Street, in 1958.
Colonial Heights remains one of Moultrie's preferred residential areas.
|Series||This marker is part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series|
|Placed By||City of Moultrie, Georgia|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 at 5:42am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 234149 N 3449526|
|Decimal Degrees||31.14956667, -83.78861667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 8.974', W 83° 47.317'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 8' 58.44" N, 83° 47' 19.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1910-1960 S Main St, Moultrie GA 31768, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.