This building, now the home of the popular Tobacco Company Restaurant, was originally built in 1866, just one year after the Evacuation Fire. Erected during the most difficult period Richmond has ever experienced, the structure was considered especially amazing, during that time of extreme economic hardship, for its size.
For decades it serviced the nearby James River and Kanawha Carnal as a warehouse for groceries and, in the 1870s, for tobacco. Even after the demise of the canal, this particular warehouse was able to remain active because of its proximity to the railroad depots, which had become the hub of commercial activity. Included in the area's renovation for retail and restaurant trade in the 1970s, this building was reborn as a fashionable, modern eating establishment which is known for its 19th-century charm.