(Exterior sign): Downtown Atlanta's oldest standing building. It was completed in April 1869 by Thomas Alexander, contractor and designed by Corput and Bass, architects.
A 1935 fire destroyed the upper floors and cupola. The building served its original purpose for nearly a century. Upon completion of the structure in 1869, the local press said, in part: "The new Georgia Railroad Depot is recognized at a glance as an ornament and benefit to the city and reflects credit on the spirit and live character of the President and Directors of the Georgia Railroad."
Georgia Railroad Depot
This is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Atlanta. It was completed on April 22, 1869, and served as the main freight depot for the Georgia Railroad. Corput and Bass, architects, Thomas Alexander, contractors, B.H. Broomhead, carpenter, and Hayden and Healy, masons, were responsible for the construction at a cost of $35,000.00.
The end of the building once held offices and was three stories high with a balcony on the second floor and a cupola on the hipped roof. Much of the building burned in January, 1935 and it was subsequently rebuilt in its present form. The Georgia Building Authority bought the building in 1981 and renovated it for public use.
The Georgia Railroad, chartered in 1833, was completed in September, 1845 at a cost of $3,369,856.42 from Augusta to a small village first named "Terminus" then "Marthasville". The Georgia Railroad connected with the Western and Atlantic Railroad that linked Marthasville and Chattanooga. The little village became an important rail center and J. Edgar Thompson, Chief Engineer of the Georgia Railroad, shortly thereafter suggested renaming Marthasville "Atlanta."