At this site, March 20, 1871, the first P.T. Barnum Circus was loaded on rail cars and transported to Brooklyn, NY where it made its initial performance on April 10, 1871. The circus was conceived and organized in Delavan by William C. Coup and Dan Costello. Using various titles for several years, it eventually became known as "The Greatest Show on Earth." In 1888, James A. Bailey became Barnum's sole partner and the circus' title was changed to Barnum and Bailey. Following the deaths of Barnum in 1891 and Bailey in 1906, their circus was sold to the Ringling brothers of Baraboo in 1907. It was operated as a separate circus until combined with Ringling Brothers in 1919. On September 6, 1970, Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus returned to this site to commemorate the 100th year of its founding.