This County, created by Act of the Legislature July 30, 1918, is named for Gen. Philip Cook who fought in the States and Seminole Wars. He served in Congress from 1872 to '82, was Secretary of State for Georgia 1890-94 and 1898-1918. He served as one of five Commissioners to erect the present State Capitol. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff W. T. Dougherty, Ordinary C. O. Smith, Clerk of Superior Court F. R. Booth, Tax Receiver J. A. Kinnard, Tax Collector J. B. Wright, Treasurer W. M. Tyson, Surveyor E. R. Slade and Coroner A. D. Wiseman.