Peikoff Alumni House
— Gallaudet University —
Panel 1 "Ole Jim"
Fondly known by Gallaudet alumni as "Ole Jim," this building was the first Gallaudet College gymnasium. Designed by Frederick Withers and built in 1881, it was the nation's second gymnasium with an indoor swimming pool. Designated as one of the National Historical Landmarks on campus, it was restored in 1982 as the Alumni House with funds raised largely by the Gallaudet alumni and their friends. This plaque donated by the Class of 1940.
Panel 2 Peikoff Alumni House
Funds for the renovation of this 1881 gymnasium were initially made possible through the efforts of Dr. David Peikoff, Class of 1929, and his wife, Pauline "Polly" Nathanson Peikoff, Class of 1936, both ardent and long time supporters of Gallaudet University and the Gallaudet University Alumni Association. Dr. Peikoff, well-known as an exceptional fund raiser, a dynamic speaker, and an outstanding leader, is especially noted for his service as chairman of the Gallaudet College Alumni Association Centennial Fund in the early 1960s. As a result of the efforts of Dr. and Mrs. Peikoff, the Centennial Fund created three permanent endowments at Gallaudet - the Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund, the Graduate Fellowship Fund, and the Alumni House Fund. Following Dr. Peikoff's death in January 1995, the Gallaudet University Board of Trustees officially named this building the Peikoff Alumni House in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Peikoff.
Panel 3GUAA Centennial Time Capsule
In celebration of its Centennial in July 1989, the Gallaudet University Alumni association buried a time capsule in the vicinity of "Ole Jim." Containing historical documents, photos books, and GUAA memorabilia. The capsule will be opened in 2039.