(1942-1945)Finney General Hospital, named in honor of Brigadier General John M.T. Finney, was authorized September 30, 1942, and dedicated June 16, 1943, on this site. Finney was one of sixty Army hospitals across the country built to care for sick and wounded World War II soldiers. Under Colonel Samuel M. Browne, Finney grew to two hundred buildings including hospital wards, a theater, gymnasium, chapel, bowling alley and barracks for German prisoners of war. Numerous celebrities visited to entertain patients and staff. Citizens of Thomas County provided support through the Grey Ladies Corps, plantation picnics, use of the YMCA, and lodging for soldiers' families in private homes. Finney General closed December 15, 1945, having treated 23,055 WWII veterans.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Society and the Thomas County Historical Society, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 7:43am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 213691 N 3412760|
|Decimal Degrees||30.81345000, -83.99260000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 48.807', W 83° 59.556'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 48' 48.42" N, 83° 59' 33.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 413-417 S Pinetree Blvd, Thomasville GA 31792, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.