General David Blackshear made his headquarters here, and it was from Hartford in 1815 that he and his troops began their march to the Flint River, cutting the famous military road to that point. General Andrew Jackson with his army encamped at Hartford before starting their march to Fort Early in 1818. When the lands on the west side of the Ocmulgee River were acquired from the Indians, the high bluff on that side was considered a better site for a town, and many of the buildings of Old Hartford were torn down and transported across the river, to become a part of the new county seat, Hawkinsville.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 3:52pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 268872 N 3574333|
|Decimal Degrees||32.28195000, -83.45416667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 16.917', W 83° 27.25'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 16' 55.02" N, 83° 27' 15.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 77 Eastman Hwy, Hawkinsville GA 31036, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.