This Federal-style farmhouse was originally part of a complex constructed in 1818 on property that is now owned by Redstone Arsenal. In 1818, James Cooper, a cotton farmer constructed a house for his bride, Charity. After Mr. Cooper's death, Charity married Colonel Houston Lee and the Lee Mansion, as it was known, the nucleus of a large cotton and indigo plantation, was expanded. Between 1835 and 1940, it had several owners including the Harris family whom the United States Army acquired the estate from in 1941 to expand the Arsenal. The house was used as the residence of the commanding general and later as housing for visiting dignitaries. In 1973, when the Army decided that it was too costly to maintain as part of Redstone Arsenal, the house was purchased by the Darwins and moved to its present location.
The house is a good example of early nineteenth century Federal-style architecture. The centerpiece of the house is the winding staircase, one of only a few remaining in the county from this period. The house was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in March 2005.