1921-1936Built in 1921 by Doctors Samuel, Thaddeus, and Bowman Wise, sons of Dr. Burr T. and Laura Addy Wise, early settlers of Plains, this innovative hospital was known as "the Mayo Clinic of the South". Originally opening above Plains Pharmacy in 1912 with 15 beds, it moved to the second floor of the A. C. Wellons building on Main Street in 1917 with 20 beds. In 1921, this building was built with 60 beds, an operating room, and an X-Ray room with radium treatment capability. Black patients were treated in a separate building to the rear of the main building. It was one of the first small hospitals in the state to be accredited by the American College of Surgeons and the American Medical and Hospital Association and also served as an accredited training school for nurses. It was here that Lillian Gordy Carter received her nurse training. Jimmy Carter, son of Earl and Lillian Carter, was born here on October 1, 1924. He was the first President of the United States to be born in a hospital.
On January 21, 1936 a fire damaged this building. Dr. Sam and Dr. Thad relocated their practice to Americus and Dr. Bowman opened an office in Plains.
|Placed By||Plains Historical Preservation Trust|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 2:50pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 746412 N 3547605|
|Decimal Degrees||32.03781667, -84.39055000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 2.269', W 84° 23.433'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 2' 16.14" N, 84° 23' 25.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 223-229 Hospital St, Plains GA 31780, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.