Upon the chartering of Macon County, by an Act approved December 29, 1837, the town of Lanier was made the first county seat. Until 1854 it was a bustling center for many of the earliest settlers in the county including Georgia Senator and Brig. Gen. Philip Cook, C.S.A. Its post office (1838-1866) still stands one half mile Northeast of this marker.
Miona Springs, an ancient gather place of American Indians, lies just Northeast of Lanier. With seven major mineral springs, it was appropriated in 1818 by the first White settler, Timothy Barnard.