Founded on September 5, 1912, by 40 charter members, First Baptist Church is the second oldest church located within Arab's original town limits of one square mile. The church was first located just off South Main Street on Fry Gap Road. The Rev. M.K. Taylor, who had previously served for many years at nearby Shoal Creek Baptist Church, was the first pastor. Citizens instrumental in the establishment of First Baptist Church included W.P. "Squire" Marsh and R.J. Riddle, both prominent early settlers and mayors of Arab. When the former building was damaged by a tornado in 1923, the present site was purchased from J.M. Cotton for $300, and a new frame church was erected. The congregation replaced it with a substantial brick church in 1948 that served until 1989, when the present sanctuary was finished.