Quantico, the Algonquian term for the once navigable creek to the port of Dumfries, lends its name to the Marine Corps installation established in 1917 and to the Potomac River town chartered in 1927. Early land patents date to 1654. "Dipple" plantation became the Glebe for Overwharton Parrish in 1724. Virginia naval units were based here during the Revolutionary War. Early names for the port town were Carrborough, Evansport, and Potomac, a resort community. Quantico shipyard was one of the largest builders in the country in 1916. Quantico, popularly called the "Crossroads of the Marine Corps," is a major center for officer education, weapons development and other activities.