Built in 1928, Highland Park was the second high school for African Americans in Prince George's County, Maryland. It was one of 23 "Rosenwald Schools" constructed in Prince George's County with financial assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund, which contributed money to the building of nearly 5,000 public schools from 1917-1932. The majority of the "Rosenwald Schools" were built in African American and Native American communities throughout the South. In many instances, the people in the communities provided land, labor, materials, and sometimes money for the construction of these schools. This cooperative effort between Julius Rosenwald and the citizens of the various communities gave a tremendous boost to public education in the early years of the twentieth century. Highland Park is the only remaining former Rosenwald facility in the county that is still being utilized as a public school.