This village's first postmaster and a charter member of Munfordville Presbyterian Church, John Thompson Street Brown (1793-1875) is the forbear of a remarkable and internationally known Kentucky family. William and Hannah Street Brown settled 1,000 acres on Nolin River north of here in 1792. Their son, J.T.S. Brown, bought 435 acres, later called "Summer Lea," three miles west of here. After his marriage to Elizabeth Creel, daughter of Elijah and Ermine Creel, whose house off Old Street overlooks the river, he and his wife built the brick home north of the Creel house. Their third child, J.T.S. Brown, Jr., born here in 1829, married Emily Graham in 1856. After moving to Louisville, they returned many summers to the family retreat at "Summer Lea."