Upon closing its one room schools in 1950, the Hart County Board of Education constructed Carter-Dowling School, a consolidated elementary school for "colored" children of Hart County.
The School was named for Daisie C. Carter, Superintendent of Schools (1946-1954) and Charles B. Dowling, Chairman of the Hart County Board of Education and the member in charge of Hart County's "colored" schools from 1925 to 1956. The school board wanted to name the school for Mrs. Carter, however, she declined and suggested that it be named for Mr. Dowling. he also declined. The Board then reached a compromise, naming the school for both Carter and Dowling.
The school's first principal was Lutisha Davis, succeeded by Abner Bradley and Nathaniel Shields. The following were teachers: Edna Bradley, Verda Mills, Caroleen Webb, Geraldine Owens, Abner Bradley, Wilma Bradley, Marjorie Wood, Mattie Martin, Elvin Nuckols, Mary Willie Mansfield, Ruby Dalton, Jessie Neely, Elizabeth Broaddus, Joe Dyton and Mr. Griffiths. Melba Faulkner, Mabel Gilbert, and Juanita Shields served as substitute teachers.
In 1965, Carter-Dowling School was integrated. It closed in 1968.
Teachers at "Colored" Elementary Schools of Hart County Circa 1950
Estella Baker - Bonnieville School
Mary Etta Thornton - Halltown School
Eva Marie Bradley - Knobs School (Allen Seminary)
Sara Bradley - Little Blue Spring School
Verda Mills - Munfordville School
Henry Latheray - Pleasant Valley School
Geraldine Owens - Reeds School (Bearwallow)
Mrs. C.O. Davis - Shadyland School
Mae Willie Mansfield - Woodsonville School
Horse Cave's Elementary School remained in operation in conjunction with its consolidated High School.