Harmony Mission

Harmony Mission (HMQPN)

Location: Rich Hill, MO 64779 Bates County
Country: United States of America

N 38° 5.823', W 94° 21.2'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 272 views
Inscription

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 33

[Front]
Historic Harmony Mission, a school for the Indians of Missouri, once stood east of Rich Hill, on the north bank of the Osage River, near the centuries-old camping sites of the Great and Little Osage tribes.

The mission was founded in 1821 by the United Foreign Missionary Society of N.Y., supported by Presbyterian, Congregational, and Dutch Reformed churches. Among the 41 members of the mission family were teachers, mechanics, and farmers, headed by minister Nathaniel B. Dodge. The Osage gave land and the U.S. provided a buildling fund.

With heroic effort, the missionaries soon built homes and a school. An Osage-English dictionary of some 2000 words was made with the help of "Bill" Williams, later famed as the "Mountain Man," but then serving as interpreter at a nearby U.S. trading post.

The school was only a moderate success, largely because the Osage ceded the last of their Missouri land to the U.S. in 1825 and began to move away. The mission was closed in 1836. The main building, moved to Papinsville, was burned in the Civil War.
(See other side)

[Back]
(Continued from other side)
Harmony Mission, Missouri's first Indian mission school, was the first county seat and the first white settlement in Bates County, organized, 1841, named for Missouri Governor Frederick Bates. Later the once thriving Osage River town of Papinsville, named for a French trader, was county seat. In 1856 centrally located Butler, named for a Ky. congressman, became county seat.

During the Civil War, Bates was one of the counties depopulated by Union General Thomas Ewing's Order No. 11 of 1863. The next year only 390 persons were living in the county, but the post war years brought over 10,000 by 1868 to farm the fertile acres and mine the rich coal deposits.

Here in the Osage Valley of Bates and Vernon counties were the villages of the Wazhazhe Indians, called Osage by the French. In 1808, less than 100 years after they were first visited by a white man, Du Tisn?, 1719, they ceded most of their Missouri land to the U.S. They ceded the rest, 1825. The first chief called Pahuska (White Hair) once lay buried in Blue Mound and for years they returned to honor him.

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 33
Registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society
Philadelphia, Pa.
Details
HM NumberHMQPN
Tags
Year Placed1955
Placed ByState Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014 at 11:58am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 381335 N 4217447
Decimal Degrees38.09705000, -94.35333333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 5.823', W 94° 21.2'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 5' 49.38" N, 94° 21' 12.00" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)417, 660
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 1200-1298 State Hwy A, Rich Hill MO 64779, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?