The first school at this location, built around 1875, was a single story, one-room plan frame building that served the Sharptown District for over forty years. Built in 1919 to replace the first school, this two-story, hip roofed frame structure was financed creatively by several sources including Wicomico County as well as local residents who donated the land, timber and part of the labor. The lot on which the school stands was donated by community residents William L. and Mary Brown. A third source of funding was provided by Julius Rosenwald, president of the Sears, Roebuck & Co. The Julius Rosenwald Fund, administered through Booker T. Washington's Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute, supported the construction of new and improved schools for black children throughout the Southern states during the early twentieth century. This school building remained in county use until 1961 when it was sold by the Board of Education. The San Domingo School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its cultural and architectural importance.