Protecting Yellowstone's wildlife and natural wonders was the primary function of the Army. An important part of this duty was managing the growing visitation to the park and watching for "shady characters."
Park roads were once aligned so that the guardhouse controlled traffic into Yellowstone from the north. Here soldiers contacted each party and entered the name of the driver, passengers, and type of rig into a large ledger. Guns not held at the guardhouse were sealed on the spot. They were checked at each outpost enroute, where soldiers certified on a form that the seal remained intact. Before visitors left the park, the form was scrutinized at an exit station.
1) Officer's Row (1898)
2) First Administrative Headquarters, Built 1891, Wood-frame construction
3) Guardhouse, Built 1891, Wood-frame construction.