This two-gun Confederate artillery battery and magazine is all that remains of Battery Haskell, a large fortification built on Legare's Point in 1863 to help defend James and Morris Islands. This two-gun battery was just behind the left flank of Battery Haskell, named for Capt. Charles T. Haskell, Jr. of the 1st S.C. Infantry, mortally wounded on Morris Island July 10, 1863.
Battery Haskell, "a massive open work," was built for twelve guns. In early 1865 its armament was one 8-inch smoothbore cannon, one 32-pounder smoothbore cannon, and two 10-inch mortars. It and the rest of Charleston's defenses were evacuated February 17, 1865. Battery Haskell was gradually demolished from the 1920s to the 1960s for farm use and later for residential development.