Dr. Charles Gladstone (1880 - 1968) was Tangier's longest serving doctor. He arrived in 1918 and was always on call. Monthly, he would go door-to-door to collect his flat fee of $1.50 but would accept whatever the family could afford. This monthly fee covered any necessary medical services he could provide. Dr. Gladstone announced his retirement in 1954, but stayed on until 1957, as it took a lengthy and international search to locate his replacement, Dr. Mikio Kato. The Gladstone Memorial Health Center, built by Grover Charnock, was dedicated April 28, 1957.
Today, transportation makes it easier for residents to leave the island for complex medical care, making a resident physician no longer a necessity. Still, most residents get their primary care here in Tangier. There are plans to build a new clinic facility.
In 2006, Dr. David Nichols was named the "Country Doctor of the Year" for his 27 year commitment to Tangier. Dr. Nichols continues to fly out weekly in his helicopter. Tangier's health needs are also looked after by our resident physician's assistant and three resident nurses.