Kent County, Delaware Militia
— 1776-1777 —The Light Infantry Company of Dover, a part of the 1st Battalion of Kent County, mustered in on 2 April1776. Each militia volunteer was uniformly armed,equipped, and wore a standard military coat of greenfaced with red lapels, cuffs, and collar. From 14December 1776 to 14 January 1777, Captain ThomasRodney, youngest brother to Declaration ofIndependence signer Caesar Rodney, and his lightinfantry company responded to General GeorgeWashington's Call to Arms for militia during thedarkest days of the American Revolution. Members ofthe company who volunteered for this perilousmission marched from Dover, crossed the DelawareRiver into New Jersey, and as part of BrigadierGeneral John Cadwalader's Pennsylvania Brigade,played key military roles in Washington's decisivevictories against British and Hessian forces at theSecond Battle of Trenton, and the Battle of Princeton.For distinguished service, Washington appointed theLight Infantry Company of Dover "to be his ownguard." This memorial is dedicated in remembranceof these patriots who served "in the Defense andProtection of American Liberty."
|Placed By||Delaware Public Archives|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 22nd, 2014 at 6:20am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 455144 N 4334407|
|Decimal Degrees||39.15771667, -75.51916667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 9.463', W 75° 31.15'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 9' 27.78" N, 75° 31' 9.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 600 Liberty St, Dover DE 19901, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.