The Fred Harvey Company built Lookout Studio in 1914, in part to compete with the Kolb Brothers Studio located slightly west along the rim. Called "The Lookout," Fred Harvey's studio offered telescopic views, photographs, and books about the canyon.
Designed by Mary Colter, Lookout Studio is an early example of a park structure that blends with its setting. Its low, rough-cut limestone design adheres to ideas expressed by pioneer landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, who felt that any park structure that drew attention away from the works of nature and to the works of man was inappropriate. From within the canyon, Lookout Studio is barely visible.