The Former Home of a Delaware Attorney and JudgeBuilt in the 1790s, this 2½ story gray fieldstone house is the former home of Judge Hugh M. Morris. Morris was a Delaware native, respected attorney and distinguished federal judge. He purchased the house and a large parcel of land here in 1933.
Besides serving as a federal judge, Morris built one of the most important law practices in the state and kept closely involved with the University of Delaware. Yet, he still found time to run his farm, buy more land, and turn the farmhouse into a comfortable home for his family. Morris remodeled the house inside and out, but kept most of its original features.
Morris left instructions in his will, giving the house and land to the University of Delaware upon his death. Morris graduated from the university and years later served as president of its board of trustees. Delaware's Division of Parks and Recreation bought the property in 1998 and made it a part of White Clay Creek State Park.
|Placed By||Delaware State Parks|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 at 12:24am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 439275 N 4395102|
|Decimal Degrees||39.70361667, -75.70833333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 42.217', W 75° 42.5'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 42' 13.02" N, 75° 42' 30.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 50 Polly Drummond Hill Rd, Newark DE 19711, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.