The Boulder Dam Hotel has been part of Boulder City history since its opening in 1933. Designed by Mort Wagner the hotel was built by Paul Stewart "Jim" Webb, Raymond Spilsbury, and Austin Clark. It is located in Cardenas Plaza - known today as Hotel Plaza - one of Boulder City's three original downtown squares.
Expanded in 1934 and 1935, the hotel was acquired by Glover "Roxy" Ruckstell in 1936, and merged into his Grand Canyon - Boulder Dam Tours. This company also included Grand Canyon Airlines, Murk Emery's Lake Mead tour boat concession, exclusive operation of the Boulder City Airport, and was the sole tourist concessionaire in what became the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
During the 1930's and 1940's the hotel hosted the rich and famous. Guests included Bette Davis, Ronald Colman, Boris Karloff, Will Rogers, the Maharaja of Indore, Bank of America founder A. P. Gianini, and Howard Hughes. The hotel fell on hard times after World War II, closing and re-opening several times.
Except for a short period in 1969-73 when it served as a retirement home, the hotel has been an integral part of Boulder City.