This church, one of the Nation's most historic, traces its beginnings to a small group of Scottish stonemasons meeting in a carpenter's shop on the grounds of the White House during its construction in 1793.
Many prominent Americans, including 17 Presidents, have worshipped here. Abraham Lincoln attended regularly during his Presidency and his original pew remains in the Sanctuary.
An initial draft document leading to the Emancipation Proclamation is on display in the Lincoln Parlor.
Dr. Peter Marshall was Minister from 1937 to 1949. The internationally known book and motion picture, "A Man Called Peter," is based on his ministry.
Dr. George M. Docherty, Minister 1950-1975, preached a Lincoln Day sermon here in 1954 which led to the addition of the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
The present church was built in 1951 and its cornerstone was laid by President Harry S. Truman. Stained glass windows inside portray the sweep of the Providence of God and various aspects of life of our Nation and the Church.
Visitors are always welcome in this house of worship.
Historical Plaque, Gift of DCR & Mrs. Herbert C. Ruckmick, Nov. 1986.
Another marker, erected in 1951, is also at this site (see picture below). It reads:
Formed by the merger in 1859 of the F Street Church, founded in 1803, and the Second Presbyterian Church, founded in 1819. Present building, dedicated December 20, 1951, is an enlargement of, but a reproduction in design of the building erected on this site in 1859. Abraham Lincoln was preeminent among the nine presidents of the United States who have been associated with the church. His pew is in its place in the sanctuary. The sitting room where he worshipped has been reproduced and, with the chapel, has been set aside in his memory.
National Capital Sesquicentennial Commission 1951