The ParsonageThe Parsonage,the home of Rev. James B. Middleton (1839-1918), stood here at 5 Short Court (now President's Place) until 1916. Middleton and his siblings, born slaves, were taught to read and write by their father, Rev. James C. Middleton (1790-1889). After the Civil War the elder Middleton, his son Rev. Abram Middleton (1827-1901), and Rev. James B. Middleton organized and served as pastors of many Methodist churches in the lowcountry.
Miss Izard's School This house, the home of the Frazer and Izard families, was built at 7 Short Court (now President's Place) by 1872. Anna Eliza Izard (1850-1945), niece of Revs. James B. and Abram Middleton, was a graduate of the Avery Normal Institute and taught school here for many years. Mamie Garvin Fields (1888-1987), a Middleton descendant, described life at 5 7 Short Court in Lemon Swamp and Other Places (1983).