[Front Side of Monument]:Steinwehr's Division.
To the New York Troops in Howard's Eleventh Corps of Hooker's Command, 11th and 12th Corps, Army of the Potomac, at Wauhatchie, October 28 - 29, 1863.
134th N.Y. Infantry, Buschbeck's Brigade
154th N.Y. Infantry, Buschbeck's Brigade
136th N.Y. Infantry, Orland Smith's Brigade
45th N.Y. Infantry, Tyndale's Brigade
143rd N.Y. Infantry, Tyndale's Brigade
58th N.Y. Infantry, Krzyzanowski's Brigade
119th N.Y. Infantry, Krzyzanowski's Brigade
141st N.Y. Infantry, Krzyzanowski's Brigade
68th N.Y. Infantry, Hecker's Brigade
Co. A 8th N.Y. Infantry, Headquarters Guard
[Right Side of Monument]:
Soon after firing was heard in the direction of Wauhatchie, Gen. Schurz was ordered to push his leading brigade to the relief of Gen. Geary.
Tyndale's Brigade was in the advance. Its left, while passing Smith's Hill, was fired upon by the enemy concealed in the woods; the brigade proceeded to the hill on the right of this monument (known as Tyndale's Hill) from which the enemy was speedily driven. Krzyzanowski's Brigade was then placed in the gap between Smith's and Tyndale's Hills and Gen. Schurz, instructed by Gen. Hooker in person, sent Hecker's Brigade to effect a junction with Geary's Division, which was accomplished about 5 A.M. The operations of Howard's Corps and those of Geary's Division, 12th Corps, dislodged the enemy from every position this side of Lookout Creek, and, in conunction with the troops at Brown's Ferry under Gen. W.F. Smith, reopened the Union lines of communication to Chattanooga.
[Reverse Side of Monument]:
On the afternoon of October 28, 1863, two divisions of the 11th Corps, meeting with slight opposition, moved down this valley toward Brown's Ferry, where unction was effected with Hazen's and Turchin's Brigades and the 18th Ohio, all under Gen. W.F. Smith. After encamping, strong outposts were thrown out. A detachment of 150 men, from the 141st New York, under command of ma. C.W. Clauharty, advancing beyond these foothills about 500 yards east from where this monument stands, discovered and skirmished with the enemy, shortly before midnight, moving to attack the Union forces in the valley.
[Left Side of Monument]:
Between midnight and 1 A.M. heavy fighting was heard in the direction of Geary's Division, and shortly afterward Steinwehr's Division was moved toward Ellis' house and the leading Brigade ordered to capture the hill to the left of this monument (known as Smith's Hill) already occupied by Law's Alabama Brigade, Longstreet's Corps. Orland Smith's Brigade charged up the hill under heavy fire without returning it until the crest was gained, when the enemy retreated down the slope and fell back across Lookout Creek. About fifty prisoners and some arms were captured.
The attacking force numbered not quite 700 muskets. Buschbeck's Brigade held in reserve, was advanced into the gaps to the right and left of the hill to prevent a flanking movement of the enemy.