58 South Battery
— circa 1800 —The John Blake House was constructed circa 1800 by Blake, a captain in the Continental Army, member of the South Carolina General Assembly, and president of the Bank of South Carolina. The Blake House is constructed of cypress and heart pine on a high brick basement. This dwelling is an unusual example of a Charleston Single House, as it features an ell to the rear of the house. It originally had sweeping views of the Ashley River, which were obstructed after land reclamation to the south and west of the house in the early 20th century. The Blake House received Carolopolis Awards from the Preservation Society in 1970 and 1985 in recognition of the outstanding restoration and preservation of the house. The garden of the Blake House is noteworthy, and was restored in 1985 to a formal parterre design based on documented 18th and 19th century Charleston gardens.
|Series||This marker is part of the South Carolina: Preservation Society of Charleston series|
|Placed By||The Preservation Society of Charleston|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 10:21am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 599856 N 3626368|
|Decimal Degrees||32.77068333, -79.93383333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 46.241', W 79° 56.03'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 46' 14.46" N, 79° 56' 1.80" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 64 S Battery, Charleston SC 29401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.